Facebook RSS

For Colored Girls

Monday 13 November 2017

The journey from relaxer to Natural hair

Transitioning  from relaxer to natural hair

I asked three beautiful Caribbean black girls through conversations on Whats app how they felt through the entire transitioning process from relaxer to natural hair. I received three amazing response. It is very difficult in terms of maintenance but it’s worth it. It may be time consuming and very expensive. However it gets easier. What these three  girls had in common is the fact that they used protective styles to take the burden away of having to comb their hair every day. With the weekly notion of washing and steaming and applying these protective hairstyles. What it does is it allows the hair to takes it course and to grow out getting rid of the relaxer.
What these girls also have in common is the fact that when the hair grows long enough to the girls liking they cut off the remainder of the relaxer. They live the life of their hand passing through the coil of their hair relentlessly . 

I did the big chop. I took off the remainders of my relaxer and i am ready to wear my natural hair. I mean not just yet. I will still continue to do my protective hairstyles but one of the things I struggle with is confidence, wearing my hair with confidence is one of the hardest things to do. I mean my texture is very different  but after speaking to other girl with natural hair they introduced me to many products that helps with detangling and making my hair softer and much more manageable. I have not started using any products as yet or twist outs so you can say that i am still in the beginning stages. 

I asked my three amazing Caribbean girls three questions which are:
1. What was the hardest part of transitioning from relaxer to Natural hair
2. What products do you use 
3. How do you feel now with your natural hair.



Anisa Yearwood Response:
1. My hair was very thick so it was difficult combing it out but i did protective hairstyles that helped      me to cope with styling until i was ready to fully used my hair together with products.
2. The products i use was Carols Natural hair products.
3. I feel Beautiful without trying.


Nneka Marlow Response
1. The Two hair textures was my biggest challenge which resulted it me leaving the house without having it braided. it was very thick.
2. the products i use Shea Moisture Shampoo, Masque and Camille rose twisting butter and Jamaican black castor oil
3.i feel really great and i always receive compliments from other Black queens.



Shanesa Lynch Response:
1. Moisturizing made my hair heavy 
2.The product I use was Cantu
3.I feel great my hair feels healthier and i feel even more confident.

It is so beautiful to know that we are all going back to where we belong embracing our ethnicity and feeling confident in ourselves.

Please tell me how you guys feel about my post 
 I would like to give a shout out to my three beauties for allowing me the opportunity to include them on my post.

I would appreciate any comments or concerns. Thank You <3 p="">

4 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading your blog😄😄😄

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this blog. Even in the transitioning stage I was worried about how I'd look or what people would say about my natural hair (My hair has been relaxed since I was three). Now I embrace my natural hair / heritage with every fibre of my being. I feel better than I've ever felt because now I understand, black is beautiful. Keep bringing awareness to young black women, we need this now more than ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this blog is amazing!! Before i was contemplating whether or not i should go natural but after reading everything on this blog and watching these girls and their comments was inspiring. Now I've came to my final decision to do the big chop! #teamnatural

      Delete

LIVE LOVE LAUGH

Inspirational Monologue

GIVE ME A CHILDHOOD EXPERIENCE IN WHICH YOU FELT INSECURE AND NOT CONFIDENT :) LETS CHAT <3 BABY YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL! Mommy why ...